Should my son work undercover with law enforcement to avoid felony conviction? 4 Answers as of May 26, 2011

Where can I learn more about how it works if my son agreed to work undercover for the police to have his felony charge reduced to a misdemeanor? Since they can decide at any time, for any reason, that he didn't fulfill his commitment to them, is it worth even trying to avoid the felony conviction this way? Also would like to know how dangerous this arrangement is like to be?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Theodore W. Robinson, P.C.
Theodore W. Robinson, P.C. | Theodore W. Robinson
This is called cooperation with the authorities and should only be done if the client has a terrible case against them that can be proven against them. Usually the police only want introductions to dealers or information about other crimes being committed. Also, be aware that they want EVERYTHING your son knows about every criminal activity he knows about. Otherwise, they will believe he's holding back and that will not go well for him. If he's going to cooperate and does so, an attorney will be overseeing it on his behalf and usually, in my experience, the DA's office is honest in their dealings in this area and he will get credit for whatever he does for them. Cooperating can be dangerous if the people against who he gives information discover it was him that did so, however, generally,unless they're at the upper levels of things,most people escape any direct consequences, but that depends upon the specific situation.Cooperation is not something that is openly discussed with anyone outside of the attorney representing your son -ever! Good luck.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/26/2011
Palumbo and Kosofsky
Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
You need to retain counsel to work out a written agreement. I can represent your son in that.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/25/2011
Edward  D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law
Edward D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law | Edward D. Dowling IV
I would need much more details to answer your questions. you should hire an attorney and disclose all the facts and circumstances and find out exactly what the undercover work would be and then evaluate with your attorney whether he should do it or not.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/25/2011
Law Offices of John Carney
Law Offices of John Carney | John Carney
You should not be making these difficult legal decisions any more than you would prescribe drugs or treat his aliments without being a doctor. Retain an experienced criminal attorney who can decide if he would be given a Youthful Offender Treatment if under 19, or the case would be reduced even without his cooperation. It is often not necessary to inform on anyone if he has a clean record. The police cannot protect your son and if he informs on a drug dealer the consequences could be serious. Feel free to call for a consultation anytime, I have lawyers in every city in New York.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/24/2011
Click to View More Answers: