Should my friend get a attorney if he assaulted a police officer? 3 Answers as of April 17, 2015

My friend was drunk at a concert last night and he got into it with a cop who had been mouthing off to him. It seems to me like this is very serious and that he needs to get a lawyer for it. He just got out this morning and won't listen. He has never been in trouble with the police before.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Team Green Lawyers, PLLC
Team Green Lawyers, PLLC | James R. Daley
Seeing as how causing physical injury to a police officer qualifies as a felony (Assault 2nd Degree)-he definitely should contact a lawyer. If convicted of Assault 2nd Degree he faces a sentence of up to 7 years in state prison.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/17/2015
Rothstein Law PLLC
Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
Your instincts are correct. Assaulting Police Officer is a Class D felony punishable by up to 7 years in jail. I am not suggesting he will get jail but the charge is serious. I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense for over 18 years. Your friend can call me if he wants to discuss retaining counsel.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/17/2015
Barton Barton & Plotkin
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
Absolutely. Your friend faces big trouble here. This could be a felony prosecution. He needs a lawyer ASAP.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/17/2015
Click to View More Answers: