Should my friend file her own lawsuit against the medical company? How? 7 Answers as of August 24, 2015

A friend had hernia surgery 4 years ago using Alloderm from Lifecell (another state company). This company is defendant in many lawsuits concerning Alloderm. She has struggled and still struggles with basically every possible side effect. (MRSA, additional surgeries for irrigation of wound from that, accessing, various others, failure of mesh to keep hernias under control is actually the least of her worries.) She needs to know if she needs a lawyer and another state lawyer, both, or other. She might like to hire her own separate attorney rather than using one in a class action suit, as her case is unique as to its severity and length of time suffering. I would appreciate any advice, information, suggestions, lawyer/firm referrals, etc.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
Some law firms do prefer to file individual lawsuits, rather than class actions. One consideration can be potentially greater compensation to individual plaintiffs. Each matter must be evaluated on its own. She would do well to discuss this fully with a Michigan attorney, and go from there.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/24/2015
Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
At the minimum, she should have a free conference with an experienced med mal lawyer.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/24/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
Quite simply she should consult a personal injury lawyer in her area who is well versed in class action suits and seek his or her opinion. A separate action could be prohibitively expensive.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 8/24/2015
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
MRSA is NOT due to the medical company. It is due to being in a hospital where they use all sorts of antibiotics, and the bugs became immune. In all likelihood, if she has not filed suit by now, it is probably too late. There is a thing called a Statute of Limitations.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/24/2015
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
Your friend needs to consult with an attorney to discuss the benefits and detriments of joining the class action or bringing her own litigation. The time to bring a litigation is limited and strictly enforced. She needs to act now.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/24/2015
    Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
    It sounds as if your friend should look for a lawyer who handles the type of claim. Filing herself would be a poor option. If she files the action wrong, she could hurt her chances of finding an attorney. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 8/24/2015
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
    Tell your friend to consult an experienced lawyer familiar with class action and mass tort cases. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 8/24/2015
Click to View More Answers: