Should my fiance wait to petition if he owes overseas taxes? 4 Answers as of January 10, 2011

Can my fiance's K-1 Visa Application be denied if he owes federal taxes in the UK? He actually does not owe them, his former employer did not send his withholdings in and now cannot be found. It is taking ages to sort out and we are wanting to be together. Don't know whether to submit the K-1 or wait until this is all sorted out. Help!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
As long as he does not have a criminal conviction for nonpayment of taxes then no reason to delay.

Let us know if we can assist in the fianc process. Before you file discuss the pros and cons of getting married in or out of the U.S. with me or other experienced immigration attorney.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/10/2011
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
No it should not affect him.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/8/2011
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
Unless there is a criminal component to the tax situation, there shouldn't be a bar to obtaining the fianc visa.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 1/7/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
Owing back taxes to a foreign government should not effect your ability to petition him for a K1. However, he should check to determine if owing the money could prevent him from obtaining a passport from his country. He will need a passport to obtain his visa and to enter the U.S..
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/7/2011
Click to View More Answers: