Should I wait until the court date to file for divorce? 2 Answers as of August 29, 2013

I recently filed for spouse and child support at the family court here in New York. I have been scheduled for court on November 12.

Glenn Milgraum PC
Glenn Milgraum PC | Glenn P. Milgraum
You filed for support in Family Court. If you file for Divorce the matter may be moved to the Supreme Court that has jurisdiction over the status of the marriage. Once you file for divorce, your support application will most likely have to be consolidated into the Supreme Court action. Depending on the county in which you live, this may be done by the Court, may have to be requested by either of the parties, or may not have any effect on the hearing in the Family court.
Kalil & Eisenhut, LLC | Michael N. Kalil
There are many things that one considers when filing for divorce. Since I don't know any of your circumstances, I can't make a blanket statement one way or the other as to when is best for you. Generally speaking however, if your plan is to get divorce, there is nothing wrong with filing immediately. Your Family Court case will not interfere with the divorce.