Should I wait for the trustee to tell me when to redeem my vehicle for current value? 8 Answers as of May 04, 2011

Filed Pro Se BK in Virginia in March. I filed intention to redeem vehicle for value. Do I wait for the Trustee to tell me when to redeem the vehicle or is there a time limit to redeem? The Trustee has already filed the no distribution reprot. There has been no objections by the title loan company.

If a debtor wants to redeem a vehicle in Chapter 7, he or she needs to contact the lender about payment. The trustee will not participate.
If you want to redeem, you must file a motion to do so. The trustee will not tell you when to do this. The trustee can not give you legal advice. You probably need to see a lawyer, soon.
The Trustee has nothing to do with whether or not you redeem or reaffirm a debt. That is your responsibility. Redemption requires that you file a motion with the court and have the fees available to redeem, of course. You will probably need to hire an attorney for this.
Law Office of Larry Webb
Law Office of Larry Webb | Larry Webb
The trustee is not your attorney, she cannot give you legal advice. You need to consult with a local attorney, the rules may be different.
The Law Offices of Alan M. Laskin
The Law Offices of Alan M. Laskin | Jared B. Gaynor
Trustees have no duty to tell you anything - they are not your attorney. You need to look at the BK code for details on redemption, and also look at the local rules for your bankruptcy court.
    Bankruptcy Law Office of Robert Weed
    Bankruptcy Law Office of Robert Weed | Robert Weed
    Nobody will tell you when it's time. You just need to.
    You have to file a motion to redeem before your case is closed. The trustee has no involvement in your choice to redeem and there is no need for the bank to object. The bank might object to the redemption motion if you do not redeem the vehicle for its value.
    The Orantes Law Firm
    The Orantes Law Firm | Giovanni Orantes
    You should file a motion to redeem as soon as possible, but no later than 45 days from the originally scheduled first meeting of creditors.