Should I use a stage name in my acting career? 1 Answers as of August 11, 2011

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a stage name as an actor. Our child has been acting in theatre since age 6. Mostly community theatre, but some professional. Now, college age, I am wondering if the use of a stage name would be beneficial, to maintain privacy and establish use of it prior to possible success in the industry. If so, what is required?

Dunlap, Grubb & Weaver, PLLC
Dunlap, Grubb & Weaver, PLLC | Thomas Mansfield Dunlap
A stage name can be a good idea in certain circumstances and they are often used by actors who have given names that are difficult to pronounce or when an actor is trying to create an image. Stage names are also used by actors to comply with SAG rules (Screen Actors Guild) which in general terms prohibit two registered members from trading under the same name (however even the difference need only be something as small as an extra initial in some cases. Overall, if you plan on building a brand as a performer a stage name can be quite useful if chosen carefully and with the help of an industry professional (to make sure it is both pleasing to the intended audience and that it complies with SAG, if that is where your career takes you. On a final note, a law firm, such as mine, can also ultimately trademark a stage name in many cases, whereas it is much more difficult to do so with a given name unless it has obtained significant fame.
Answer Applies to: District of Columbia