Should I use a public defender or seek another attorney for my failure to appear warrant? 9 Answers as of March 08, 2011

I have a misdemeanor warrant for failure to appear in California. I now live in Florida. Previous advice from your site states I need to hire an attorney or borrow the funds or contact a public defender. Will a public defender work or should I seek an attorney willing to do pro bono work?

You will probably have some difficulty finding a pro bono attorney.
LynchLaw
LynchLaw | Michael Thomas Lynch
Most public defenders are very experienced and dedicated attorneys. The problem with being represented b a public defender is the amount of time they can invest in a case. If you are the type of person that needs to know not just what you should do, but what each and every one of your options are and what are the pros and cons of each option, then a public defender might not be right for you.
A public defender will not recall a warrant for a non-client. At this point, you aren't a client. You need the court to appoint the PD for you first. So at this stage, the PD will not be able to help you.
Law Office of Joe Dane
Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
The public defender cannot represent you unless appointed by the court. Cases are taken pro bono by private attorneys if there is a substantial social issue, great injustice or perhaps for exposure. I doubt you'll find somebody to take your warrant case pro bono.
If you can afford private counsel, and want the individual attention to the case that offers, then hire one. They do NOT work pro bono, that is what the PD is for, paid from all our taxes. The PD will provide no hand holding, and will have dozens of cases on calendar each day. The choice is yours. However, you probably can not obtain a PD without coming to CA to court and obtaining a court order for appointment. Thus, private counsel is likely you only option. If serious about hiring counsel, feel free to contact me, if the case is in SoCal courts.
    If you find an attorney willing to do pro bono work let me know as I'll send him all my non-paying clients. You MIGHT be able to get the Public Defender to handle this. Call that office, ask for the Duty Person, and explain your problem.
    Robert Mortland
    Robert Mortland | Law Office of Robert Mortland
    A public defender will likely ask that you are present to explain your absence that lead to the failure to appear. If you have the money, I always recommend finding a good private defense attorney.