Should I turn myself into court for a 4-year-old bench warrant for an unpaid traffic fine? 7 Answers as of November 20, 2012

I got hit with a DUS over 4 years ago because my two paid traffic fines were not showing up that I had actually paid them. I ended up getting a ticket for DUS for unpaid fines. I went to court plead not guilty. I then went back and plead no contest with explanation. I explained what had happened. I still got a couple points on my driving record and a court fine. I never paid the court fine and now have a bench warrant. It’s been 4 years and I just paid my reinstatement fee in full. They said that I can't get my temp permit because of a warrant block. Should I walk into court by myself or should I call a public defender? I am trying to take care of the unpaid fines and a possible contempt of court. What should I expect? Please help.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
You cannot call a public defender, just like you cannot call public transportation. The judge assigns a public defender IF the person qualifies. After you are jailed you might be appointed a public defender. I would suggest retaining an attorney, who might help you not get incarcerated.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 11/20/2012
Law Office of John Schum, LLC
Law Office of John Schum, LLC | John Schum
I routinely handle these matters and have had some real good results in these cases. Sometimes avoiding a subsequent conviction and getting things dropped. The public defenders will not be able to help. They are just too busy and will have you do jail time to resolve the matter. I can help if you want. I hope this helps you sort your legal situation out.
Answer Applies to: Hawaii
Replied: 11/6/2012
Law Office of Eric S. Lumberg | Eric S. Lumberg
Yes, the bench warrant will not go away and by doing nothing, you always run the risk of getting arrested. A lawyer, however, may be able to resolve the warrant without your immediate appearance in Court.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 11/6/2012
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
Get a lawyer to go with you into the court and maybe they can help you settle the matter. This is the best way.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 11/6/2012
Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly
Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly | Brendan M. Kelly
A public defender will not help clear up the warrant.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 11/6/2012
Click to View More Answers: