Should I try to get a patent? 3 Answers as of April 27, 2011

I have 25 or so new products I have created and need just one to launch so I can fund the next in line. I was going to try and get my first invention (product) off the ground this year but the climate looks very poor for existing consumer goods let alone cramming another one in there. So why should I bother trying with the economy going into a full blown depression which all arrows are pointing to.

Devon & Associates
Devon & Associates | Marcia A. Devon
Not all products are entitled to receive patent protection under U.S. law. You must be the first inventor of a design which is "non-obvious" [the word used in the patent statute] compared to what has been designed previously. I recommend that you consult with an experienced patent attorney and disclose your product(s) in order to receive specific advice.
Intellectual Property Center, LLC
Intellectual Property Center, LLC | Ak Shaf
Whether you should get a patent depends on your business model and your specific needs, which i can't address. A patent provides certain rights which many find to be beneficial and desirable. Generally, whether you need a patent, has little to do with whether you can get a patent. Only you (as the inventor ) can decide to get a patent and i would suggest, the decision should correspond to whether you will make any money off the invention. However, if you decide not to get a patent, obviously you will forfeit your patent rights and will probably will not be able to prevent others from copying your invention.
DANIEL NESBITT
DANIEL NESBITT | Hasse & Nesbitt
Yes, you could try to get a patent. A granted patent excludes other persons or companies from making, using, selling, or importing the claimed invention. A successful startup product can trigger a copy cat manufacturer with better financial resources.