Should I trademark my logo? How? 4 Answers as of May 29, 2015

I am thinking about running a silk-screening company out of my garage. I want to put a logo and a name that I have been thinking about on shirts and other things. Do I have to get a lawyer to trademark it?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Banner & Witcoff, Ltd. | Ernie Linek
A logo can be protected by a trademark registration if the logo serves as a trademark - a source identifier as opposed to mere ornamentation. Think of the Converse Chuck Taylor Star Logo - clearly a brand identifier. Same with the words - Converse & Chuck Taylor - both are brand identifiers (trademarks) for the shoes. You do not need a lawyer to file for trademark protection - but it is easy to mess up the filing and lose the filing fee - no refunds are offered. You would be best served by a trademark lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 5/29/2015
Webb IP Law Group
Webb IP Law Group | Jason P Webb
If your business will just be local, then no big need to get a federal trademark. If you market is nationwide or more than just local than you should consider getting a federal trademark registration. Your chances of properly preparing filing and prosecuting your own trademark application are low. It would be best if you worked with an attorney who has trademark experience.
Answer Applies to: Utah
Replied: 5/29/2015
Law Office of Kirk Buhler
Law Office of Kirk Buhler | Kirk A Buhler
You can file a trademark yourself. The filing fee is $225 to $375. It may take several hours to follow the process. Go to and follow the link to the trademark office. You do not need a lawyer, but a Patent Lawyer will ensure that the documents are correctly filled out.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/29/2015
Sebby Law Office
Sebby Law Office | Jayne Sebby
If you haven't already got your business up and running, you've got more important things to worry about than registering a trademark. However, if it's important to you, you can register your mark yourself or you can hire an attorney to help you. You can also register the mark with your state or with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 5/29/2015
Click to View More Answers: