Should I switch lawyers? 5 Answers as of January 10, 2013

I was the pedestrian and was hit by 2 separate cars. The first one hit my leg which resulted in a spiral fracture. And the second impacted my face. The first cars insurance is $50,000 and the second car has $250,000 insurance plus a million dollar umbrella policy. Out of the second car, I'm only receiving $200,000 out of court. I feel that this is not enough compensation for my injuries. Should I settle outside of court or go to trial? I live in California.

Law Offices of Mark West
Law Offices of Mark West | Mark West
There are many factors which go into a settlement and the question of whether to go to trial and risk losing the money you have been offered. From the description you have provided, there is not a lot of information on liability. While generally speaking pedestrians have the right of way, if you were not in a cross walk or crossed against the light, that could play into the amount you are being offered. Also, what were your medical bills and what are your permanent, if any, effects of the injuries? Trials can be expensive, and if there is any question of liability, a jury could go against you. I'm not really trying to sound negative, but if your attorney has gotten you this far, perhaps you need to chat with your attorney before jumping ship to see why the offer is what it is.
You talk to your attorney. Only a fool would advise you on this chat line to do one or the other with out seeing the complete file.
Law Offices of Sandeep G. Agarwal
Law Offices of Sandeep G. Agarwal | Sandeep G. Agarwal
Hard to say without knowing liability, the extent of injuries, and a whole lot of other factors that go into determining the value of the case. I would address your concerns directly with your counsel, and maybe consult with another lawyer to get their opinion.
WEISSMAN LAW FIRM
WEISSMAN LAW FIRM | I.Donald Weissman
Whether to go to trial or accept a settlement is ALWAYS the client's decision. Keep in mind, a trial is a gamble. There is no guaranty a jury will award more than what has been offered or even that you will win the case. Trial is also very expensive. The costs come out of the recovery. You might do better at trial, gross, but receive less money, net, due to increased expenses of the trial. Sit down with your lawyer and go over the offer, the evidence of the case and discuss the advantages and disadvantages of trial. Make your decision based upon the best information available.
Law Office of Malosack Berjis
Law Office of Malosack Berjis | Malosack Berjis
Have you had a face-to-face meeting with your attorney yet, addressing these concerns? If not, I believe that should be your first step. Furthermore, do not forget that going to trial always carries the risk of leaving with $0. And, lastly, since no two injuries or plaintiffs are the same, it is really difficult to ascertain whether or not the offer you are receiving is "enough compensation" for your injuries. Best of luck to you.