Should I surrender my green card if I will not be returning to the US? 4 Answers as of May 04, 2011

I have not lived in the US for over 20 years and have no intention of ever returning to live. While I understand that my green card is no longer valid, I still have the physical item. Should I surrender it?

You don't have to do anything at all. Just go and don't come back. If you must, then go ahead and fill out form I-407 and send back the card, but why? Why bother? No one really does that. Good bye and luck!
I am not sure why you are concerned about it- you can surrender if you want but I don't believe that keeping the card puts you in any legal danger. You are correct that it will be incredibly difficult to reenter the US on that card or by claiming LPR status! If you want to give up the card, you should contact your local US consulate.
The U.S. government would appreciate that so it doesn't fall into the hands of someone who might try to use it. This can be done at the U.s. consulate in the country where you are living. You should consult with an international tax expert on any tax obligations you might have to the U.S. government if you have not kept up with these filings prior to your surrender of permanent residency.
You will be deemed as having abandoned green card if you don't stay in US for 6 months out of a year. You don't need to surrender your green card.