Should I state the money I borrowed from my family for support, on the form 1040 while tax-returning ? 1 Answers as of February 28, 2011

I'm an immigrant and got in the states on July 6, 2010, with 4000$ on me which I legally reported it at the airport with the customs. My family had given me the money for support till I get a job in the states. I didn't work in 2010 for the rest of the year after July, now, I'm filing a tax return for 2010 and do I have to state that money on the form 1040 ?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Meyer & Yee, LLP
Meyer & Yee, LLP | Kent W. Meyer
You don't have to claim the money as income if it was a gift.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/28/2011
Click to View More Answers: