Should I sign a medical release granting access to records to the insurance company I have a claim with in Washington? 3 Answers as of April 13, 2011

Should I sign a medical release granting access to records to the insurance company I have a claim with? If we do so, they will have access to hospital information. Our daughter was hurt on our neighbors property, which caused us to open a claim.

Shaw Law Firm
Shaw Law Firm | Steven L. Shaw
It depends on why they need them. It's possible that there is limited, no-fault medical coverage for your daughter's medical expenses through your neighbor's homeowners insurance. If so, they may need the records to consider payment. If that's the case, I would collect the records myself, along with the bills, and present them for payment. That way you are controlling the records they receive and not giving them access to other records which may not related to your claim. Otherwise, you may as well wait until you have completed treatment and are ready to present the entire claim at once, on your own terms. Premises claims are very tricky. Consider speaking to a personal injury attorney that is familiar with your type of claim.
Magnuson Lowell P.S.
Magnuson Lowell P.S. | Richard S. Lowell
You should check with a qualified personal injury attorney in your area. Normally, I'm not a 'fan' of giving a medical release - especially early on. It is much better to allow your attorney to determine the appropriate time to provide records.
Premier Law Group
Premier Law Group | Jason Epstein
In my practice, I always advise my clients or potential clients not to allow the insurance company to have access to the medical records without going through your lawyer. You should probably consult with a lawyer as soon as you can to make sure you are handling the claim properly.