Should I sign a contract with a school as a storyteller that expects me to have one million dollar damage insurance? 8 Answers as of April 04, 2014

The contract includes not only the insurance but that I am expected to pay for a background check, all that I create for the school is their property, relinquish all rights to sue the school, must reimburse school for all expenses if cancel less than 30 days, and they expect me to be licensed as a storyteller even though I have been doing it for at least 25 years. Are there issues with this contract that I should address?

KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
You must be comfortable with any contract you enter into. Talk to your school contract about any areas of concern.
Strouse Legal Services | James C. Strouse
Sounds like a bad contract for a part-time position. I'd have to see the contract though.
WILLIAM L SANDERS, ATTORNEY AT LAW | William L. Sanders
You have not asked a question that requires any law to answer. If you want to tell the story, apparently you have to pay the price I know of no law that licenses a storyteller. Is that a "regulated" profession?
I would not work for them.
Yeah, find another school. The school is not unreasonable for the liability insurance. You could be a maniac. With respect to the intellectual property, if these are your stories, then no, the school should not own the intellectual property.
    It would appear that someone in the school system as being overly cautious, and with the requirements that they are placing and you I seriously doubt that is worth your while. I have no idea what a licensed storyteller is. I would suggest you see an attorney with the details but doubt that this is any longer a viable relationship.
    Law Office of Richard Winkler | Richard Winkler
    Sometimes the amount of money trumps the details associated with entering into a contract. BCI checks are inexpensive and one can appreciate why such things are necessary. Find out if all of their requests are what they require for all outsiders coming into the school. Even so, the fact that you question all of this certainly should give you pause. If they really want you, they might lighten up if you tell them you are reconsidering the gig.
    Fox & Fox, S.C. | Richard F. Rice
    You probably need to contact an attorney.