Should I return the money or keep it if she named me as beneficiary as POD on her two accounts? 2 Answers as of March 18, 2015

My aunt recently passed away. She had only one daughter (they have never got along). She was the sole heir named in the will. She is threatening to sue me for cleaning out her mother’s bank accounts. My cousin sent me a court document that says the court hereby orders that the entire estate be set aside in its entirety to her, named devisee under the will. It also states that the court also orders that the two state bank accounts of the decedent be paid directly to her without further administration. I'm guessing this was done at probate. I want to truly do what is right and legal. My cousin is saying my aunt had severe dementia. I talked to her often and I have also talked with her care givers and she has always been extremely sharp. I never heard anything out of the ordinary when we spoke. Her daughter said she changed the beneficiary on her bank account because of the dementia. I'm reading that it a bank account has a POD beneficiary named that it has nothing to do with the will or estate or probate.

A pod account is yours. However, if the daughter decides to pursue the claim, it would cost you time and money to prove that your aunt was competent when she made you the beneficiary of the POD accounts.
Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
That is a factually specific question. You should sit down with an attorney to address your options and the costs associated with the same. This site is designed to help you decide if you need to consult an attorney. The short answer is that you most certainly so.