Should I retain an attorney if a traded in truck has still not been paid off by the dealership? 8 Answers as of June 17, 2015

I traded my truck in on 11/30/2013 and as of 01/21/2014,they still have not paid it off. The dealer keeps telling me they are broke. I have made one payment of $601.00 since I traded it in, and I am currently behind yet another payment. The lien holder has now placed a $5000.00 insurance policy on the truck and added it to the payoff because I could not provide them with proof of full coverage, which I should not have to carry on a truck I do NOT have! This happens to be a dealership that I used to work for and I do not know if they are doing this on purpose or what, but I do not have another $601.00 to give to the bank for a truck that I do not have. But I do not want them to ruin my credit! What do I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
Contact the attorney general of the state of Michigan. Consumer protection and or the licensing division Report the facts to them and they should investigate. No guarantee about your credit though.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/17/2015
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
First, you should talk to the state attorney general's office or the state bureau of motor vehicles. This is a violation of the dealer licensing laws. The possibility of losing their dealer license (which would close their business) is going to get results quicker than a lawsuit.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 6/16/2015
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
Get a lawyer now.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/15/2015
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
Sue the dealership or report them to DMV for failure to pay off the loan as agreed.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 6/15/2015
Law Office of Joshua R.I. Cohen
Law Office of Joshua R.I. Cohen | Joshua Cohen
Yes, find an attorney with auto fraud focus.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 6/15/2015
Click to View More Answers: