Should I retain an attorney for my son if I want to change custody to my home if he is making comments about dying without me? 1 Answers as of December 07, 2016

My son has been depressed and acting out for the past 6 months at his father's home. Last week, he told me that he feels like dying when at dad's. He is not allowed to talk about me or anything we do and dad says he’s just like me whenever he spanks him really hard. My co parent continually violates our court order and makes dealing with him about anything regarding our son difficult almost abusive. My son is afraid to tell me about incidents there because he's afraid he'll be punished for telling me or anyone what is happening. What steps would be safest to take to get full physical custody? Right now, dad has primary residence but joint physical and legal custody with me having alternate weekends and holidays are setup whenever I can get a response and rarely in a timely manner.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
First off, you need a health and safety check for your son and possibly a CPS intervention. It sounds like your son is suffering from extreme suicidal idealization and needs immediate crisis intervention. You should also consider filing and serving a request for order to return to court as soon as possible to deal with the issues raised in your question.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/7/2016
Click to View More Answers: