Should I respond to a attorney regarding debt collection and why? 17 Answers as of August 25, 2015

The lawyer from the collection agency called me yesterday. I have a court appearance on September 5 for a self-represented non-jury bench trial. Should I respond to his phone call?

Sure. He may want to settle. It won't hurt.
I would if for no reason other than it is a courteous thing to do. The call may be an offer to settle the case, or to let you know that there has been a change in the date or time of the court hearing. So returning this call may be to your benefit as well.
Charles Schneider, P.C.
Charles Schneider, P.C. | Charles J. Schneider
Yes you have nothing to lose and may be informed.
Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
I recommend returning his call. He may be calling about the case, either to offer settlement or to discuss trial and discovery issues.
R. Steven Chambers PLLC | R. Steven Chambers PLLC
He's probably calling to see if you want to settle this. If you have no defenses to the debt (not being able to pay is not a defense) then you might be better off talking to him and settling. But, and this is a big but, know what you're doing if you agree to settle. Understand the terms fully before you sign anything.
    It doesn't hurt to talk to him.
    Yes, it's probably an opportunity to settle. You might as well hear him/her out.
    Law Office of Darin Kanfer | Darin J. Kanfer
    Ask him what court you are in and then call that court to confirm.
    Yes, he may want to settle the case.
    Well I don't know why he is calling. Since there is a trial he may have something important to say. No way to tell. A bankruptcy will end all of this. See a local lawyer.
    S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
    If you have a court appearance on that date you should have received a copy of a complaint against you as well as a summons to appear in the court. If you were not served with a copy of the complaint and summons or any other written document telling you to appear in a particular court on a specific date and time it might be that there actually is no bench trial. However, if you recently moved and left behind a significant other or another person who could have accepted service on your behalf, you should check with that person to see if anyone delivered any court papers. If they did, you should get hold of them as soon as possible to see if there is, in fact, a hearing scheduled. Otherwise, it's doubtful that there is a court hearing scheduled.