Should I press charges on my ex for fraud and theft? 1 Answers as of July 06, 2011

Several months ago my ex-fiance activated a credit card that came in the mail for me (American Express) without me knowing. I received a letter in the mail saying they closed my account with them & I was very confused because I had not realized I had an account with them. My ex lied to me and said he knew nothing about it, but I came to find out he activated this credit card and charged about $1200 on there. Then more recently I came to find out he charged about $3800 to BillMeLater under my name. All of which was car parts and a computer. He says he will pay it off but he hasn't and I have been getting collection calls and empty promises from my ex. I do not want to get him in legal trouble because he is my daughter's father, but I am seeing no other option. Please advise me on how to proceed.

Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
You may have no other option. You certainly need to speak with the creditors, the banks and the credit bureaus so your credit history is not permanently ruined. They are all most likely going to require a police report. Those are serious crimes for a lot of money. Only you can decide if you want to pursue the charges. Sometimes it comes down to putting yourself before others. How is he going to help his child if he is stealing from her mother and putting her mother in impossible financial situations? It doesn't seem like you have a very difficult decision.