Should I plead guilty to drunk in public and resisting arrest charges? 9 Answers as of March 07, 2011

What are my options if I plead guilty to a citation for drunk and public and resisting arrest?

Both offenses are relatively minor. If they would only result in infractions involving a fine then you will have no criminal record. This is hard to walk away from but do not feel you must do it if you're not guilty.
You should not plead guilty without consulting an attorney. Both are relatively minor charges, and an experienced attorney can help you explore alternatives to pleading guilty.
Your options are whether to plead guilty or not. If you plead, you no longer have option, and will simply be sentenced as provided in the law. Effective plea-bargaining by your attorney, using whatever legal defenses, facts and sympathies there may be, might keep you out of jail, or at least dramatically reduce it, depending upon all the facts and evidence. Not exactly a do it yourself project in court for someone who does not know how to effectively represent themselves against a professional prosecutor intending to convict them. If you don't know how to do these things effectively, then hire an attorney that does, who will try to get a dismissal, diversion, reduction or other decent outcome through plea bargain for you, or take it to trial. If serious about doing so, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. Ill be happy to help you use whatever defenses you may have. If you can't afford private counsel, you can apply for the Public Defender.
Alanna D. Coopersmith, Attorney at Law
Alanna D. Coopersmith, Attorney at Law | Alanna D. Coopersmith
You should not plead guilty unless you have a lawyer who can advise you about the strength of those charges in your particular case. Furthermore, I'd generally be reluctant to advise anyone to plead guilty to resisting arrest.
They are very light weight misdemeanors but you really need a lawyer to read the police report before you do anything.
    Law Offices of Ramona Hallam
    Law Offices of Ramona Hallam | Ramona Hallam
    It is extremely difficult for someone to advise you regarding entering a plea when you have given few facts. There might be witnesses who can refute the resisting arrest charges, or you may have a defense to some or all of the charges. I wouldn't advise pleading guilty on what you have included in your question. On the other hand, if they caught you on camera barely able to stand and hitting the arresting officer, you might want to consider a plea. Your option once you plead guilty is to take whatever sentencing the court gives you. You should really speak with an attorney.
    Law Offices of Lawrence Wolf
    Law Offices of Lawrence Wolf | Lawrence Wolf
    No.
    No!!!! Hire an attorney or request the services of the public defender. Do not just go to court and plead guilty.
    Christine D. Thielo
    Christine D. Thielo | Law Office of Christine D. Thielo
    Please contact the office of Christine D. Thielo to be able to response to your question re: drinking in public and resisting arrest. Your question may be answer adequately after getting all the facts from your case.