Should I plead guilty or not guilty after I stole some merchandise from the store I was working at up at $180 total? 10 Answers as of April 25, 2014

I cannot afford a lawyer so I am going to ask to be appointed one on the court date. The store had me sign a form saying I stole the $180 worth of items. I really don’t know what would be in my best interest. I am 20 years old and do not want this to be on my record. I am going to school to be an RN and this would mess up everything I have worked for.

Get your lawyer to try and work out something so that you end up with no conviction on your record.
If you plead guilty then it will show a conviction on your record, which could impact yur schooling and job search. My advice: Hire an attorney, who may be able to work a resolution without you having a conviction.
You will have criminal record. Assuming this is your first offense, in Washington, you would be sentenced to attend a consumer awareness class, do community service, pay a fine, pay restitution, stay away from the store, have no further criminal violations and be on probation for one year. You will also have to pay a civil fine to the store. If there id diversion program, take it.
Law Office of James E. Smith
Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
Ask for diversion.
Law Office of Jared C. Winter
Law Office of Jared C. Winter | Jared C. Winter
How about you wait to consult with the lawyer that will be appointed to represent you? You're always going to get better legal advice from your attorney than from free legal advice online. Don't post any more details about your case online.
    LeadfootSpeedingTicket.com
    LeadfootSpeedingTicket.com | Andrea Storey Rogers
    The public defender's office does not represent defendants in municipal court, so if your case is in municipal court, the judge will not be able to appoint a public defender for you. The maximum potential sentence for misdemeanor shoplifting in Missouri is 1 year in jail and $1,000 fine. If you can't afford a lawyer and your case is in municipal court, you need to try and find a legal assistance agency that might be able to represent you for free or at a very low cost. If you are located in St. Louis, you might try Arch City Defenders.
    You might want to rethink hiring an attorney. We normally get people a dismissal with community service.
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
    The potential consequences of a criminal record are sufficiently serious for you to have representation. From your standpoint, you priority should be your record rather than any potential punishment for the offense.
    The court may or may not appoint you an attorney. If not, consider borrowing money from friends and relatives so you can hire your own attorney. Most jurisdictions have diversion programs or other sentencing options that would keep the matter off your public record. If you cannot afford an attorney, most attorneys will at least offer a free consultation so you can review your case, options, and likely outcomes.
    It will be on your record.