Should I plead guilty even though I had a 0% BAC? How? 12 Answers as of May 13, 2015

Last May I was exiting onto the freeway when I reached for a bottle under my feet, lost control, hit the side rail, scraped my car, flattened my tires, shook me up. I asked someone that stopped to call 911 for me. Big mistake, as it turned out I was not hurt but very shaken up. The office assumed I must be on something so after all the tests were over I was taken to the hospital for blood test. My alcohol content was 0.00. But my blood showed all the medication I was on. I am medially disabled from a mental disorder, the medications I am on, I have been on for years. I know how they affect me. They gave me back my life, I am in college trying to better myself. This DUI could greatly affect my future in college. My court appointed attorney said I should plead guilty. Why? This was my first offense.

You are on something: prescription medication. So, the real question is: Did you prescription medication cause you to be unsafe behind the wheel? If you are so shook up by an accident, and have such a mental disorder, and on so many meds, then you need to not be behind the wheel. In addition, choose your career choice carefully, because doctors, and lawyers and engineers have a lot of stress, like your car accident.
Cough up some money and hire a "real" lawyer. Drug DUIs are very hard to prove, and only an idiot would plead guilty without a fight.
No. Plead not guilty and hire an attorney.
Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD
Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD | Mace Yampolsky
According to the Statute, you still may be convicted. But usually if you have a prescription, you can work something out that is not a DUI.
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
I can't second guess your court-appointed attorney. This depends on many facts and circumstances. DUI is not limited to alcohol. If the other medications could impair your ability to drive, that could be a sufficient basis to charge you with DUI. That may be why your attorney suggests that you plead guilty. If you do not have confidence in your court-appointed attorney, then hire another attorney to review your case and provide a second opinion.
    Connell-Savela
    Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
    if the meds affect your ability to drive, then you are likely DUI, if not, not The PD should try to get the state?s toxicologist to give an opinion as to whether these medications in the quantities shown impair driving. Often, this can be accomplished by calling the states tox and asking a few questions. I do it when necessary. Sometimes the state tox goes our way. Sometimes they fudge and say impaired even when not. But, if they go our way, the DA will almost always dismiss. What is the harm? Be nice to your PD. S/he is overworked and may not know much yet. Trust me, s/he wants to win but might not know how.
    Nichols Law Firm
    Nichols Law Firm | Michael J. Nichols
    No. Certainly not without a qualified Dui lawyer to review your case Sent from my iPad On May 12, 2015, at 5:14 PM, Question From LawQA > wrote: ANSWER A QUESTION THAT WILL BE DISPLAYED ON MICHIGAN CRIMINAL DEFENSE, DUI WEBSITES ON THE LAWQA NETWORK. LAW AREA: CRIMINAL DEFENSE, DUI STATE: MICHIGAN ID:195326 Question: Should I plead guilty even though I had a 0% BAC? How? Question Detail: Last May I was exiting onto the freeway when I reached for a bottle under my feet, lost control, hit the side rail, scraped my car, flattened my tires, shook me up. I asked someone that stopped to call 911 for me. Big mistake, as it turned out I was not hurt but very shaken up. The office assumed I must be on something so after all the tests were over I was taken to the hospital for blood test. My alcohol content was 0.00. But my blood showed all the medication I was on. I am medially disabled from a mental disorder, the medications I am on, I have been on for years. I know how they affect me. They gave me back my life, I am in college trying to better myself. This DUI could greatly affect my future in college. My court appointed attorney said I should plead guilty. Why? This was my first offense.
    Shalvoy Law, LLC | Walter A. Shalvoy Jr.
    Hire a private attorney who will fight for you
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
    Fuck No. Don't plead guilty to something you didn't do AND they can't prove. You need a lawyer. One who recognizes that DUI Drugs cases are fightable and winnable.
    Your court-appointed defense attorney is entitled to his opinion. If you are not happy with it I would suggest that you engage retained counsel, or at least seek and receive a second opinion.
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
    Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
    You should not was guilty. Instead, you should hire an attorney.
    Law Offices of Stephanie Lee Ehrbright, Esq.
    Law Offices of Stephanie Lee Ehrbright, Esq. | Stephanie Lee Ehrbright
    In Arizona you can get a DUI for prescriptions that are legally prescribed to you if they impair your driving ability at least to the slightest degree. Meaning even if they impair your driving a little teeny tiny bit then you can be found guilty. Imagine a piece of paper that has no tears in it. That is your driving ability. Now tear just a tiny bit in the corner. You are now impaired at least to the slightest degree and can be found guilty even though the vast majority of that paper is in perfect working condition.