Should I petition through my child or by myself? 8 Answers as of July 08, 2013

I have been a permanent resident for over 20 years, lived in California for 40 years, in good standing. which is easier for me, can I apply with through my 21 year old petioning me or on my own, I have been living with my partner who supports me since I last worked, we have a child together. We pay taxes, own a home and do everthing together as married.

I know it has been some time, but you have absolute eligibility for legal residence through your son. You have lived here since before Jan. 1, 1972, your inadmissibility is waived.
If you are talking about citizenship then you can only apply through yourself to naturalize. Not a hard process.
If you are a permanent resident why do you need someone's petition?
Baughman & Wang
Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
Your email is unclear as to what is your immigration status. If you are a US permanent resident, you do not need to apply for anything. If not, and if your 21 old son is a US citizen, I would suggest for him to apply for green card for you.
What are you looking to petition for? If you are already a permanent resident, are you talking about applying for US citizenship? If so, you need neither your child nor your spouse. You just apply on your own. If you are talking about something else, please clarify what you mean. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.
    You are only allowed to self petition under rare circumstances. If you have a USC child over 21 or spouse, then that person may sponsor you. Be sure to have a full consult with a competent immigration attorney to ensure that you meet all eligibility requirements for this category. For example if you entered without inspection, then you may be unable to file here.
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
    It is not what you seek to apply for. Immigration wise is citizenship the only application left for you if you are already a permanent resident. You do not need someone petitioning you for naturalization.
    Law Offices of Alan R. Diamante, APLC
    Law Offices of Alan R. Diamante, APLC | Alan R. Diamante
    You cannot petition yourself and it seems that your only option is through your son unless you have been living in the U.S. since prior to 1/1/72. The big question is do you have to leave the country or not. We need more info about you in order to answer the question.