Should I pay my car off to build my credit or file it in a chapter 7? 18 Answers as of October 03, 2012

I currently have debt that needs to be filed in bankruptcy, and need to know if I should pay my car off at income tax or just file it in a chapter 7 because my credit is bad anyway.

You rebuild credit by making monthly payments on time. A lump sum payment isn't going to help you much.
Law Office of Norman Moore
Law Office of Norman Moore | Norman P Moore Jr
The real question is: Do you want to keep the vehicle? If you do, and you are current, keep paying for it and file Chapter 7. If you are not, you can file a 13 to get caught up. I think the impact of paying it off, then filing, on your credit would be negligable at best.
You are assuming you will lose your car due to the bankruptcy. This is highly unlikely. I would advise against paying off the car before you file for bankruptcy. The debt on the car will work to your advantage combined with the California vehicle exemption will probably allow you to keep your car. I suggest you contact a local bankruptcy attorney for a consultation.
Wild Sky Law Group, PLLC
Wild Sky Law Group, PLLC | Roxanne Eberle
Bankruptcy will damage your credit no matter what. The important thing is that you don't let your credit score slip too low before filing so you have less far to recover after your discharge.
LAW OFFICE OF MARGARET L. EVANS, PC
LAW OFFICE OF MARGARET L. EVANS, PC | Margaret L. Evans
Question: Should I pay my car off to build my credit or file it in a chapter 7? *- not sure what you mean by "file it" in a chapter 7 .* Question Detail: I currently have debt that needs to be filed in bankruptcy, and need to know if I should pay my car off at income tax or just file it in a chapter 7 because my credit is bad anyway.* - If you want to keep the car, then keep making the payments on it, even during the bankruptcy because its a Schedule D secured creditor claim and you can reaffirm that debt in bankruptcy if you want to keep the car. Filing a chapter 7 and wiping out your debt will repair your credit faster generally. *
    Law Offices of J. L. Haddock, PLLC
    Law Offices of J. L. Haddock, PLLC | Jared L. Haddock
    Generally, I would say no, do not pay off the balance owed for the car before filing for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy protection. I would recommend that you consult with a bankruptcy attorney before doing anything, however. A qualified attorney will be able to discuss in more detail what you should and should not pay with your tax refunds in the context of Chapter 7.
    Charles Schneider, P.C.
    Charles Schneider, P.C. | Charles J. Schneider
    That depends on the exemption schedule you choose and what else that you wish to exempt. See an attorney.
    Benson Law Firm
    Benson Law Firm | David Benson
    Do NOT pay off your car loan until you speak with a bankruptcy attorney. You are permitted an exemption in Ohio of only $3,450.00. I've seen many a debtor rue the day they decided to pay down a loan in anticipation of filing Chapter 7.
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C.
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C. | Stuart M. Nachbar
    File and if your counsel knows what he/she is doing, you will be able to keep the car. If in NJ and not w/ counsel, please give me a call for a free consult.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
    Your car may be useful in helping you qualify for bk if you are over medium income. Depending on the amount of your tax refund, you may need it to retain counsel to file, and can exempt $1,000 of it under your wild card exemption. Your vehicle is exempt up to $15,000, so if by paying it off you exceed the equity exemption you'll have to turn over the excess equity. I recommend you seed legal advice to help with your planning.
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    That's up to you, but you know very little about bankruptcy and should consult with an attorney about it. It is very complicated.
    Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A.
    Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A. | Diane L. Drain
    It depends on the state where you live - the exemptions allowance for vehicles. Please understand that filing for bankruptcy is a very complicated process. It is wise to talk to an experienced bankruptcy attorney before deciding to take this important step. Most Arizona bankruptcy attorneys offer a free consultation about the basics of bankruptcy.
    Knute Rife
    Knute Rife | Knute Rife
    If you file, the car goes in. You can't pick and choose what goes into the bankruptcy. Also, paying the car off before filing may affect the exemption you can claim for it in bankruptcy. Finally, if you file, the trustee will claim at least part of that tax refund, so don't count on having it.
    Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law
    Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law | Eric Benzer
    Please call an attorney ASAP.
    You should not pay off your car if you are filing chapter 7 because you may then have too much equity and risk the trustee seizing your car. If you are going to file then you should go see an attorney so you do not hurt yourself.
    Law Offices of Terrell Monks
    Law Offices of Terrell Monks | Terrell Monks
    If you need to file bankruptcy, be very careful about purchasing or paying off assets. The exemption on one car in Oklahoma is capped at $7500. If you own a car with more equity than that, you risk losing it.
    Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law
    Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law | Christiaan van Niekerk
    You should file it.