Should I pay the civil demand after shoplifting? 1 Answers as of April 07, 2011

I got caught shoplifting $26 of food from a whole foods in Austin. I was taken to the back and told if the cops were contacted. I would have been taken to jail as I was out of county with my ID. Then I was told to sign 3 things, including a trespass and acknowledge of the civil demand. The LP said most likely the demand would be 250-300 dollars. Should I pay? He said if I didn't it would hurt my credit.

The Law Offices of Dustan Neyland
The Law Offices of Dustan Neyland | Dustan Neyland
I have seen hundreds of clients receive this civil demand letter. If you don't pay, then the store does have an option to sue you in civil court. Unless they sue you and win a judgment, it will make no difference on your credit whether you pay it or not. This is because you do not have a legal obligation or contract to pay them anything. Contact me and I will be happy to discuss this with you in more detail.