Should I pay additional late fee and legal fees if I rent an apartment and I was short $90.00? 8 Answers as of May 10, 2013

I was never served to go to court. Can they do this to me? Now they refuse to take any more of my money unless it is the legal fee of $411 plus $180. They will charge me everyday a late. Can they do this to me? I need help and I have called several attorney and law firm and no one has returned my calls.

James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
Offer them the money you owe in writing .. send a check... If they refuse it ... Let them take you to court to collect.. most likely a judge will throw their case out. its against the Michigan Landlord Tenant laws.
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
If your lease agreement permitted the landlord to charge you a late fee you will have to pay it unless the court (probably district justice) feels that the amount is excessive. If there is no mention of a late charge in your lease agreement you would not have to pay one. The same is true for the attorney fees. They have to be included in the lease agreement and should be reasonable.
Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S.
Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S. | Joseph T. G. Harper
You would need to check your lease carefully. You are liable for late fees, but you may not be liable for legal fees unless certain conditions are met or unless the matter was turned over to their attorney. You may want to also try contacting one of the local bar associations to get a referral for legal help.
You may need to go to court and file an affidavit that you were not served. But if you were properly served and you ignored it, then yes you have to pay it.
Law Office of Lisa Hurtado McDonnell | Lisa Hurtado McDonnell
Read your lease and see what if says if your late on paying your rent.