Should I mention that I am on government assistance when petitioning for my spouse? 2 Answers as of March 13, 2011

If a person is on welfare, they are not allowed to file for their spouse? But is it safe for them to just not mention that they are on these programs? Should they get a co-sponsor? What if they are unemployed?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
First, document fraud is a felony. The CIS will have your Social Security number, they will check your income sources, and they will require your tax returns for 3 years escape. But you can get a co-sponsor, if they are willing to be responsible for your spouse for up to 10 years, in the event your spouse cannot work, meaning your spouse is not allowed to get welfare for at least five years. If you wish further assistance in a consultation, feel free to call or e-mail me.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/13/2011
The Vega Law Firm
The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
If asked you must disclose this information. There is a question about this on the I-864 or the affidavit of support. If you do not meet the threshold, then you are able to substitute a co-sponsor to help you.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 3/8/2011
Click to View More Answers: