Should I marry my boyfriend before becoming a US citizen? 3 Answers as of April 11, 2011

Should I marry my boyfriend before becoming a US citizen?

Assuming you are a Legal Permanent Resident already and are going to apply for Naturalization, it does not make any difference whether you get married before or after becoming a U.S. Citizen.
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
That is an entirely personal decision. What do you hope to accomplish with the timing of the wedding? If you want to speed up his immigration, then the sooner you marry, the better. If you are already a legal resident, then getting married before you get citizenship will not affect your naturalization.
Either or, doesnt really matter. But if you are wishing to act as his petitioner then it will expedite things if you are first married to him, so once you Naturalize you file for his Immigration instead of then having to wait to get married.