Should I list collection agencies or creditors in bankruptcy? 7 Answers as of October 05, 2010

I am confused about who I will list on my personal bankruptcy. Will I end up putting the original creditors or the collection agencies who have been hounding me?

It is best to list all potential creditors, so list them both.
You should list them all; it certainly cannot hurt. The more notice you send, the more likely you will cover everyone. Just be sure you do not re-list the debt amounts for duplicates. Just list the additional creditors addresses in the mailing matrix.
Law Office of Barbara Seeley Curtis
Law Office of Barbara Seeley Curtis | Barbara Curtis
You should include all creditors so they will stop bothering you
Sussman & Associates
Sussman & Associates | Mitchell Sussman
Better practice is to list both with the collection agency as as duplicate creditor.
Builders Law Group
Builders Law Group | Nick Campbell
Unless the collection agency is representing they have been assigned (i.e. bought and own the debt), they are generally an agent of the creditor. Generally, you would only have to list the creditors who "own" the debt (which, again, would include any collection agency which bought the debt from the original creditor) but to be "safe" you could also list the collection agency to put them on notice. Once you file, you can simply direct such agencies to contact your attorney and inform them you are filing for bankruptcy. That should put a stop to their further collection efforts; if not, they could risk sanctions from the Bankruptcy court.