Should I keep the appointment with FUBU? 9 Answers as of October 11, 2012

I have an appointment with Daon John of FUBU. I have no money for attorney and he states my idea will not leave his office (or at least his staff said so). Should I keep pursuing this appointment? I have had a few good offer for my product. Please advise where or how to protect myself with as little or no money.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Kirk Buhler
Law Office of Kirk Buhler | Kirk A Buhler
This is a business decision. People can say they will not disclose the idea, but without some contract or non-disclosure agreement they are not bound to keep your idea confidential For Us, By Us (FUBU) my keep the information confidential, or may improve and file a patent application. I suggest that you either visit the US patent office web site at , or go to a public library to prepare and file a "Provisional" patent application. The cost is only $125 if you prepare and file the application yourself. You will then be "Patent Pending" for a year while you decide how to proceed.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/11/2012
Sebby Law Office
Sebby Law Office | Jayne Sebby
Have the highest ranking person in the firm that you have contact with sign a non-disclosure agreement that binds the entire company and prevents them from disclosing or using your ideas without your explicit permission. You can find generic versions of this agreement on line or an attorney can draft a more specific one for you for little money.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 10/11/2012
Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
I would get a nondisclosure agreement and not show anything to him until he has signed it. Make sure the venue is for the state in which you reside or wish to have the case heard in if you have to sue him down the road.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 10/11/2012
Barton Barton & Plotkin
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
The only way to protect yourself is to require anyone to whom you show your invention to enter into a confidentiality agreement. You need a lawyer to prepare this.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 10/11/2012
Ochoa and Associates
Ochoa and Associates | Susan Ochoa Spiering
I do not know anything of the FUBU or Daon John, and cannot comment on this or keeping your appointment. However, the US Patent and trademark Office, has an center that helps inventors file their own patent application. You can call and ask them questions; they do not provide legal advise, but can at least give you some info to consider with your invention and possible sale/license of it.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 10/11/2012
    Webb IP Law Group
    Webb IP Law Group | Jason P Webb
    You need a confidentiality agreement at least. That is not very strong protection, but it is at least something. You may be able to find something for free searching the internet. They are also called NDA or non-disclosure agreements. Even with an agreement like that, you are at risk. Also, it is possible, maybe even likely that he will not sign it.
    Answer Applies to: Utah
    Replied: 10/10/2012
    Turner Padget Graham & Laney, P.A. | Bernard S. Klosowski, Jr.
    It would be great if a handshake and a person's word were enough. However, in today's world there are two more certain ways to protect yourself before revealing your idea - 1) a confidentiality or nondisclosure agreement ("NDA") and/or 2) a filed application (patent or copyright). An NDA is better than nothing but those tend to be general, even vague, and by themselves may be difficult (expensive) to enforce. A filed patent or copyright application at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office or U.S. The copyright office offers more certainty. Of course, having both an NDA and a filed application offer layered protection. I can't say whether a patent or copyright application might apply to your situation without knowing what your product is (a new "look" and/or a design with a new utility?). Most legitimate businesses understand and even encourage you to file an application before meeting because it protects the business, too. So, you might want to postpone your meeting and spend some time in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and U.S. Copyright Office websites.
    Answer Applies to: South Carolina
    Replied: 10/10/2012
    Tran & Associates | Bao Tran
    You should get patent application as soon as you can prevent others from copying you. This is important as we move into the First to File area. I would recommend the use of software from called ProvisionalBuilder. A feature summary is at THe software helps you organize information, and through your summary description, brings back sample patents in the same field for you to use as examples.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 10/10/2012
Click to View More Answers: