Should I include character reference letters with my appeal brief? 4 Answers as of July 25, 2011

I'm appealing a criminal conviction in NYS. My trial did not properly use my reference letters from my church, my psychiatrist, my counselor/teacher, wife, mother...I read that "background information" should be provided to the appeals judges...

Yes, you should include the references as exhibits in your appeal.
You should not be handling your own appeal. You should have an attorney appointed to represent you. Just as you would not pull your own teeth, perform surgery on yourself, or cut your hair, you do not have the knowledge, experience, or expertise to practice law....especially appellate law. Letters are used for sentencing purposes...to get sympathy, to provide proof of character and show the judge that the person is moral, or does good deeds...it is not really an issue for an appeal which involves legal issues.
Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
The only advice I can give someone who is trying to submit an appeal pro se from a criminal conviction is this: DON'T DO IT - RETAIN COUNSEL.
I believe that the only information the appellate court is going to want to see is the official record, unless you want to argue there's new evidence or that you tried to offer evidence and it was improperly excluded by the trial judge.