Should I hire someome to represent me? 14 Answers as of February 04, 2014

A lady drove through my boutique. I have property damage and am loosing business due to the windows being boarded up. Not sure what to do besides turn in invoices for product loss.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
First, see if her insurance co. is going to recognize your loss of earnings claim. If not, time to get a lawyer.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/4/2014
Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC
Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC | Michael Lichtenberg
If you incur mounting losses and don't know what to do, perhaps, you could ask for help someone who does know what to do in this situation. Since there are questions of damages and liabilities, perhaps, an attorney would be the right kind of a specialist you need. And, since there is a good chance that the attorney's fees will be ultimately paid by the party that caused your damages, what exactly stands in your way of seeking professional help when you need it?
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 1/31/2014
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
That is entirely up to you. Statistics show that those with lawyers typically get more money than those without. Experienced lawyers are trained to capture all of your damages and may be able to enhance your claim. Consider consulting one.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 1/31/2014
Kirby G. Moss PC | Kirby G. Moss
That is only way to have your rights protected.
Answer Applies to: Indiana
Replied: 1/31/2014
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
Make a claim with your insurance company. Your insurance company will take care of suing whoever has to be sued.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 1/31/2014
    Pete Leehey Law Firm, P.C.
    Pete Leehey Law Firm, P.C. | Pete Leehey
    Yes, you do have a potential claim. You should immediately contact a lawyer to discuss how to pursue this. One key will be that you need to have very good documentation of the business you have lost due to this incident.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Replied: 1/31/2014
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    Answer: That all depends on whether or not you understand what you are doing with how to file the claim and what to ask for by way of damages. Do you understand a claim for loss of profits? If not you'll need to hire a lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Replied: 1/31/2014
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    You should get her or her auto insurance to pay. If they are not responding , get a lawyer. Get proposals for the damage repair costs.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 1/31/2014
    The Law Offices of Tim O'Hare
    The Law Offices of Tim O'Hare | Tim O'Hare
    I would absolutely contact a lawyer to see if there are ways he/she can help. Most attorneys will talk to you about your situation for free to determine if there is a case they can help you on. If not, they usually offer free advice that you can use to help yourself.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 1/31/2014
    Hobbs Law Group
    Hobbs Law Group | Kristin E. Hobbs
    Turn the matter over to your insurance company for handling. They will also pursue the lady for some of her insurance on your behalf but she may not have enough to cover all the damages, which is where yours will step in to pick up the bill. If your insurance company treats your claim unreasonable during the course of its handling, you may have grounds for an insurance bad faith lawsuit later on.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/31/2014
    Ty Wilson Law
    Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
    You have a duty to mitigate your damages, i.e. meaning repair or get quotes to repair the damage. You should reach out to the insurance company and file a claim. However, you want estimations of the damage performed by someone you select and not just accept the insurance company's estimate as they are often bare bones and may leave you paying for something down the road.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 1/31/2014
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
    Do you have business interruption insurance? If so, then put in your claim and let them deal with it. If not, you can go after the insurance company for the driver.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 1/31/2014
    Candiano Law Office
    Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
    YOU are responsible to mitigate your losses. Have everything fixed ASAP with your insurance. THEY will recover from the motorist.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 1/31/2014
    Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
    Your damages seem to be rather straight forward. If she has insurance then present the carrier with estimates and records for the repairs and loss of business. That is all an attorney would do at this point.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/31/2014
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney