Should I hire a lawyer to file a patent application? 3 Answers as of October 21, 2010

I have been researching the patent process and I think I understand it pretty well. I have started preparing to file an application and I do not want to hire a lawyer if I do not have to. Is a lawyer required for filing for a patent, or can I do it by myself?

Devon & Associates
Devon & Associates | Marcia A. Devon
While a lawyer is not required, it is strongly recommended. There are strict legal requirements you must adhere to order to obtain a patent. The filing of a patent application is a complex matter. We have had numerous clients spent thousands of dollars to have us fix their applications (or in some cases, we start over) after they have been filed incorrectly. It is more cost efficient to file the patent application correctly the first time around and it substantially increases the likelihood that your patent will be granted. Sometimes the problems cannot be fixed, depending on the timing of your application and your offer to sell products claimed in your patent application.
Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
No you can do it yourself but your chances of success at obtaining a patent worth anything is less than 1 percent.
Kafantaris Law Group
Kafantaris Law Group | Theo Kafantaris
While you are able to prepare and file on your own, a patent attorney has expertise in seeking patent protection, and can apply his expertise in preparing and filing your application to ensure that you receive the most protection possible for your invention.