Should I hire a lawyer if I was arrested for a DUI? 2 Answers as of July 13, 2010

I was arrested for driving under the influence a few weeks back. My friends and family think that hiring a lawyer is a waste of money since I will probably be found guilty. Is it worth it for me to hire an attorney?

Even the initial DMV hearing over the suspension of your license can be tricky. If in California, you were also likely provided notice of a court appearance for Arraignment upon being released. You may plead not guilty if you want at that hearing.

If the case is not plea bargained, it will be set for Trial which typically involves complex procedures. The conventional wisdom is that the attorney will be able to get you a better plea bargain deal than you could on your own, or effectively try the case if forced to that.