Should I hire an attorney if cops stopped me for having beers and they asked for my ID? 1 Answers as of June 25, 2017

On Saint Patrick's day, a few friends and I went to the parade in my city. I am 18 and I was walking out the crowd with two open beers in my hands when three undercover cops stopped my friend (who also had a drink) and asked to see ID. Immediately, I said that they could take the beers and that someone in the crowd handed them to me and that I didn't take a sip (because I didn't) and that I didn't want them. The cops were very nice and asked to see our IDs but then said "please tell me you don't have your ID because it'll be easier for us" then acted like they were going to let us go but apparently their boss was in the same general area and was watching so they had to wright the ticket and said if we hire an attorney that the charge would probably only be $250 and get dropped to a littering charge. I don't know if I should stick with my story and defend myself or hire an attorney.

The Rogers Law Firm
The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
First, don't take legal advice from a police officer. You will definitely have to hire an attorney to represent you if you want to avoid having a conviction on your criminal record. In some courts, I am able to convince the Prosecutor to amend a charge such as yours to "Littering"but it just depends on your criminal history, which court your case is being prosecuted in, and the details found in the police report.