Should I hire an attorney before my trial? 6 Answers as of October 10, 2013

I am facing possession of stolen property charges. I was caught up in the wrong place at the wrong time with a bad friend. I've been to one court date and they told me charges have not been filed yet. My next court date is in a week. What should I expect?

Definitely hire an attorney, especially if charges are filed.
You should have counsel. Period.
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
Not sure why you would be at court if you haven't been charged, but if you are required to be at court, you should absolutely have counsel. All information and analysis provided herein is for Massachusetts law and Massachusetts cases, ONLY. If your matter or question involves the laws of another state please disregard this post and seek advice from an attorney licensed to practice law in the applicable state.
Hire a lawyer before you show up alone and forget you have the right to remain silent and cop yourself out in open court.
You should retain an attorney for the hearing. There is a chance he can make sure the matter is dropped.
    Benjamin Meyer
    Benjamin Meyer | Benjamin Meyer
    Yes, you should hire an attorney before trial. The judge may ask if you've hired an attorney or are seeking assistance from the public defender at your next court date. Depending on the circumstances, the judge may not allow the case to proceed until you have counsel.