Should I go directly to the I601a without applying for DACA? 6 Answers as of September 12, 2014

My husband and my 2 year old child are US citizens. I arrived to NY when I was 14 which means I could get approved for DACA. I am not sure If I should apply for DACA first, get approved and then apply for I 601a (forgiveness law) or should I go directly to the I601a without applying for DACA? Thanks.

HAN LAW GROUP, Immigration Attorneys
HAN LAW GROUP, Immigration Attorneys | Susan S. Han
I think you should do the DACA because it will allow you to get a work permit, valid social security card and driver's license.
Law Offices of N.J. SAEH PC | Noel J. Saleh
Did you enter the USA with inspection? If so you do not need an I-601a, you are eligible to file for adjustment of status without leaving the USA. If an I-601a is required, then DACA is a cushion which keeps you safely in the USA if the I-601a is denied.
Morales & O'Connor, PLLC
Morales & O'Connor, PLLC | Myron Morales
If you entered with a visa, you might not need these processes. Also, find out if anyone ever filed an I-130 in which your name was included. If either of these apply, you may be able to apply for residence directly.
Applying for DACA is a good idea. DACA will give you a stay of removal for two years while you go through the I-601A process. It will also give you employment authorization.
Rivas-Rivera Law Offices
Rivas-Rivera Law Offices | Juan Ramon Rivas-Rivera
Go for the deferred action first. If you do comply with all requirements, apply at once. Since, once approved you will be able to work legally in the U.S. You will be also able to file for a social security card and get a driver license. And you could renew your card every two years.