Should I give the engagement ring back? 7 Answers as of July 01, 2013

My fiancé broke things off and wants the engagement ring back. I don't think I should have to give it back because he ended things. He also gave me a diamond necklace as a gift. Am I required to give these things back?

When the relationship is over, do you think you can just keep everything?
Yes it is a conditional gift.
Law Offices of James Elliot McIntosh
Law Offices of James Elliot McIntosh | James Elliot McIntosh
Those are moral questions. Do they have some sentimental value?
Walpole Law | Robert J. Walpole
This might be trickier than first thought. Generally, a gift is a gift and does not need to be returned. Since it appears that the necklace was a gift, it does not need to be returned. Generally, the ring given to you as a promise to marry should be returned only if you were the one who broke off the engagement. Now I could be mistaken about the engagement ring. But, on the other hand, if you incurred expense during the engagement for things associated with getting married and the fiance can get a refund, I would recommend that you negotiate how much money you are entitled upon its return.
The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier
The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier | Seth D. Schraier
If the necklace was expressly given as a gift, then you do not have to return it. However, an engagement ring is also known as a "gift in contemplation of marriage." Meaning, that it is given with the purpose of the two you getting married. However, if the marriage never takes place, then you do not have any right to keep the ring, even if it was your ex fiance' who ended the engagement.