Should I get naturalization before I sponsor my niece for immigration purposes? 5 Answers as of March 03, 2011

I have a niece that is living together with me and I want to sponsor her. I am currently a green card holder. My question is, should I get my naturalization first or can I apply petition to sponsor her together with my naturalization application? What are the steps to sponsor a niece?

What type of sponsorship are you talking about - adoption? To get immigration benefits she must be under 16 at the time of adoption? I would be happy to consult with you on your case.

I do charge for consultations but whatever is paid for the consultation would be a credit toward the fees for your case if you retain us for further work after the consult. The consultation can be scheduled as indicated below by contacting my secretary, Janet, by phone or by email.
Far better (faster) to become naturalized first.
There are no provisions in Immigration law under family, that will allow you to sponsor your niece. The only way to do so would be either adopt her (she must be under 16yrs), or if you have a business you can petition for her.
You cannot petition or sponsor your niece for any immigration benefits. It does not matter if you are Green Card holder or U.S. Citizen.
Whoever implants the concept that you can sponsor your niece once you become a citizen is wrong. Sorry to break this to you. If you can adopt your niece, you may sponsor her as green card holder or a citizen. If you need legal help, please feel free to contact us.