Should I get a attorney after a slip and fall and why? 14 Answers as of August 17, 2015

Back in Feb. 2014 I slipped and fell. The ins. co. contacted me and told me they would pay my hospital bills. They put a spending cap on my hospital bills of $5000. But they don’t feel they owe me for any liability. Do I have a good enough case? Should I get an attorney?

Fox Law Firm LLC
Fox Law Firm LLC | Tina Fox
Yes, you should get an attorney. The insurance companies only want to pay the very minimum amounts and once you agree and sign a release, you cannot go back and ask for more money. Your attorney will negotiate to get you what you deserve, including medical bills and pain/suffering.
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
I need to know the facts. Slip and fall laws are tough in Michigan, but cases can still be brought. Your facts need to be fully discussed.
You should get a personal injury attorney to handle this matter.
You should definitely have a lawyer evaluate your case. The liability of the premises owner depends upon a great many facts about the slip and fall which only a skilled personal injury lawyer is likely to elicit.
Gregory M Janks, PC
Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
Since you tell us nothing about the facts of your fall, no one can say if you have a good enough case. You can get a free consultation with a local MI attorney who regularly handles s&f cases, and it seems prudent that you do so.
    That is not the way insurance companies normally operate. ?They would not pay you anything unless the owner of the spot where you fell was liable, unless he has some type of premise liability coverage that pays up to $5,000 in medical bills. ?You should go to some local personal injury attorneys to find out what is going on. ?One of them might be nice enough to call the insurance adjuster to find out what the coverage is. ?You should not be charged anything by the attorney.
    Do not know. Engage an attorney.
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    You should get a lawyer to handle such a matter. To prevail you must show that you fell on a defect that was there for a sufficient period of time for the store manager to know of its existence and remove it.
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
    The case will be rejected by most attorneys but go ahead a try to find one.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    You have to show that the landowner or whoever was in control of the premises was at fault for them to be liable for anything more. Good luck.
    Boesen Law, LLC
    Boesen Law, LLC | Joseph J. Fraser III
    Whether you have a good enough case to get more than $5,000 depends on the facts of what caused your slip, and your injuries.
    Slip and fall cases are, by their nature, difficult. First, you must be able to prove negligence on the part of the property owner/occupant. Negligence could be defined as the failure to use REASONABLE care; the owner is not a guarantor. To do this, you must be able to prove that the owner put the slippery substance there, or that they had prior knowledge of the hazard and failed to take care of it promptly. Second, they will claim ?comparative fault?, meaning that you had a duty to watch where you were walking, and thus are partly at fault. The result is that most lawyers are reluctant to take a slip and fall case unless there are substantial damages, and there are at least some arguments to be made on the question of fault.
    When the insurance company starts putting restrictions on things, then you need a lawyer.
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    In order to answer your question, could you please describe the facts surrounding your fall, and describe the defective condition that may have caused your fall. Thank you for your email.