Should I get an attorney if I am facing simple assault charges? 1 Answers as of February 07, 2011

In December, I went to visit my fiancé who is in the Air Force and is stationed in VA. We got into an argument that quickly escalated, and I wound up slapping him in the face. He had been drinking. The police were called, and we both were arrested and charged with simple assault. We did not press charges against each other, but I still have to go to court. I am thinking about pleading not guilty but I am unsure if that is the best thing to do. What could the possible outcome be if I am convicted? Should I get a lawyer or can I defend myself? Is this case going to be treated differently because the alleged assault happened on an Air Force base? Thank you in advance.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson | Michael E. Hendrickson
Yes, hire a competent criminal defense counsel to represent you in this matter. Even a misdemeanor conviction can have adverse consequences for your future employment prospects, applications for real estate rentals, credit, security clearances, etc., and should be avoided if at all possible.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 2/7/2011
Click to View More Answers: