Should I get an attorney for a minor in possession of alcohol charge? 8 Answers as of May 26, 2011

I am 20 years old and received a mip for possession of alcohol. Should I get a attorney to represent me or should I just admit to being guilty or plead no contest? I really don’t want to lose my license so what is the best approach to avoiding this?

No attorney can predict the outcome, nor even give an intelligent opinion, without reviewing and knowing all the charges, evidence, reports, testimony, priors history, etc. While this isnt a major felony, handle it right. Effective plea-bargaining, using whatever legal defenses, facts and sympathies there may be, could possibly keep you out of jail, or avoid loss of license, depending upon all the facts. If you don't know how to do these things effectively, then hire an attorney that does, who will try to get a dismissal, diversion program, reduction or other decent outcome through plea bargain, or take it to trial. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. Ill be happy to help use whatever defenses there may be.
Law Office of Joe Dane
Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
While no attorney can guarantee a particular outcome, if you just walk in and plead guilty (a no contest plea has the same effect), you're going to lose your license for a year. Instead, your attorney may be able to work something out and avoid a conviction to this charge. Unless you don't care about your license for a year, it's worth getting an attorney.
That depends on the facts of your case. OT is always better to have an attorney.
If convicted you will lose your license for a year. An attorney who knows what he or she is doing might be able to get the judge to agree to your going to some classes and then getting the case dismissed. No guarantees though.
I would recommend to, yes. I have successfully gotten MIP charges dismissed. Fighting the case is the best way to avoid a license suspension. If you just plead guilty or no contest, then there will be a conviction of the charge, and a license suspension to follow.
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
    Get an attorney. This charge can usually be dealt with with a plea bargain to a lesser offense.
    If you do not want to lose your license for a year hire an attorney to assist you.
    You should not just plead guilty, because you can lose your license for up to a year, not to mention have a misdemeanor criminal record. A good attorney may be able to talk the Judge into letting you do something to earn a dismissal.