Should I file my taxes jointly or separately after separating? 3 Answers as of January 25, 2011

My husband and I filed for bankruptcy about six and a half months ago. We separated immediately after filing. Do we still have to file our taxes together?

Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm | Steven J. Fromm & Associates, P.C.
You can and should file married filing separately. Especially in light of your bankruptcy and your exposure to his tax liabilities, you should not file jointly. Also, you should try to get divorced as soon as possible so you can file as single rather than married filing separately, as this will result in lower taxes in most situations.
Givner & Kaye
Givner & Kaye | Bruce Givner
You can file separately if you wish. You need to run the numbers to determine which is more advantageous.
LT Pepper Law
LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
There is no requirement to file taxes together. You should consider your tax situation and if you intend to divorce whether to file on your own. Better to file on your own if you intend to divorce.