Should I file for divorce now or apply for citizenship first? 2 Answers as of September 30, 2014

I am currently a permanent resident, and have been for over 9 years. I would like to apply for citizenship as my status will be expiring soon. But, my husband and I are just now separating. Divorce has not yet been initiated. Should we wait to officially separate and/or divorce until after I get citizenship? Or, because of the length of our marriage, and time as a permanent resident, am I okay to go ahead and file and also move forward with the separation? Also, I live near the border and have taken several short trips in the last 5 years outside of the US. How accurate do I need to be on filling out the hours/dates of those trips? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer on either question.

Alena Shautsova
Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
You are OK to file for citizenship whether you are divorced or not as I understand you have been a permanent resident for 5 years. Look at the form n 400: you will see the requirements.
Personally, I would apply for citizenship. You can get a divorce anytime.