Should I file for bankruptcy if I have one unpaid credit card bill? 18 Answers as of October 04, 2012

I have one unpaid credit card. It is not debt off and I can’t afford to paid it now. When I got the car, I lost my job and now I am going through some hard times. I just want to get my credit back right.

Whether you, or anyone, should file a bankruptcy case can only be determined after a comprehensive consultation with an experienced bankruptcy attorney. The amount of your debt is merely one of many factors to be considered.
Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law
Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law | Eric Benzer
Please call an attorney asap.
Question is a little confusing... you had a repo? and a credit card bill? You can file for bankruptcy on both of these.
Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A.
Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A. | Diane L. Drain
I am confused by your question. Do you have a credit card or a debt from the purchase of a car? My answer will change slightly depending your facts. The bottom line is that the creditor will sue you if you do not pay the debt. Once they obtain a judgment they can garnish wages and/or bank accounts - depending on your state exemption laws. Please understand that filing for bankruptcy is a very complicated process. It is wise to talk to an experienced bankruptcy attorney before deciding to take this important step. Most Arizona bankruptcy attorneys offer a free consultation about the basics of bankruptcy.
Law Offices of J. L. Haddock, PLLC
Law Offices of J. L. Haddock, PLLC | Jared L. Haddock
It is difficult to advise whether or not you should file for bankruptcy protection with the information as given. While you may be eligible to file, whether or not it would be advisable to may be another matter. There are various considerations that must be weighed in order to determine if bankruptcy is the right option that are typically reviewed during a more in-depth consultation.
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    Filing bankruptcy is not for everyone. If this is your only debt, consult with a consumer credit counselling agency.
    Bruning & Associates, PC
    Bruning & Associates, PC | Kevin Bruning
    Thank you for the interesting question. The answer to your question depends on your entire financial situation. Experienced bankruptcy attorney should be able to advise you in this regard.
    Olson Law Firm | Edward M Olson
    Filing bankruptcy will not improve your credit score. If you can work out a new payment schedule and pay off your credit card debt..THAT will improve your credit score. If you want specific legal advice for your situation, you should call a bankruptcy attorney. As a general rule, however, bankruptcy should be your last resort. That is, you should only file bankruptcy when there is no better option out there.
    Whether you should file for bankruptcy depends on a great number of factors. How much do you on the credit card? Do you have any income right now? Is the credit card company suing you? Generally speaking, I would not advise a person to file bankruptcy if their debt did not exceed $10,000. There are other methods to resolve debt problems including negotiation.
    There is no minimum debt required to file bankruptcy, so if it makes sense to do, remember, you can not file another chapter 7 bankruptcy for 8 more years.
    Charles Schneider, P.C.
    Charles Schneider, P.C. | Charles J. Schneider
    It depends on whether you qualify not the amount or type of debt.
    Law Office of Norman Moore
    Law Office of Norman Moore | Norman P Moore Jr
    This is a tough one to answer. There is a lot of information I would need to help you with this decision. How much is owed on the card? What is the posture of the collection effort? Can you make a monthly payment to them? What about the car (or was that a typo and you meant card)?
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C.
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C. | Stuart M. Nachbar
    For one debt, I do not think it would be worth it.
    LAW OFFICE OF MARGARET L. EVANS, PC
    LAW OFFICE OF MARGARET L. EVANS, PC | Margaret L. Evans
    depends on the size of that one bill
    If you cannot afford to pay the debt, then you should consider filing for bankruptcy.
    David T. McAndrew, Attorney at Law | David T. McAndrew
    It would benefit you to try and negotiate a reduced payment from the credit company. Unless this credit card exceeds $3,000, you would be better off spending your money on repayment, instead of proceeding through bankruptcy and spending the equivalent funds.
    Moore Taylor Law Firm, P.A.
    Moore Taylor Law Firm, P.A. | Jane Downey
    That is something you have to decide. You have to decide if you care about harassing phone calls or judgments if you don't pay.