Should I fight a minor in possession (MIP) charge? 5 Answers as of February 24, 2011

I recently received an MIP. I was in the passenger seat of my friends car and he had beer in the back seat. I thought the driver of the car was responsible for everything in their car? But anyway, neither of us had to blow or do a sobriety test and I'm listed as a passenger on my MIP ticket. I was just wondering if I should fight it because I am turning 21 in three months. I would really appreciate an honest answer. Thank you.

Law Office of Daniel J. Larin
Law Office of Daniel J. Larin | Daniel Larin
You should fight the MIP if the beer was not yours you should fight. MIP is a crime and you will have a record if you are convicted. It could cause you problems later in life. In a worst case, you can get the charge taken under advisement. You will still have a record but it is a sealed record only the state police will know about. However, if you try to get a job that requires a security clearance or a background check, it could come up. So bottom line, always try to beat a criminal charge especially if you are innocent.
You should definitely consult with an experienced criminal attorney. They will have to prove that you were in possession. The consequences are too serious to simply ignore or do it by yourself. The money you spend on a good attorney will be well worth it. Feel free to give us a call for a free, no obligation consultation.
Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law
Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law | Jules Fiani
You should hire an attorney for this matter. You should always consult an attorney on legal matters such as these. Call me today so we can speak more about this.
Greco Law Office
Greco Law Office | Dominic Greco
I would be inclined to fight it but I would need more information to properly advise you. You can call me and I can better advise you. Thank you for your time.
Fighting it and negotiating it are two different things. You have options and I would be happy to discuss them with you. Call me to discuss, free of charge.