Should I consent to a voice stress test after my car was stolen and burned in Georgia? 4 Answers as of January 28, 2011

My car was stolen and found burned in a separate county in Georgia. The county police are asking me to do a voice stress test. Should I?

Giannini Law Office, PC
Giannini Law Office, PC | Robert Giannini
What you need to do is to contact a criminal defense attorney in your area and meet with him or her. And, you need to do that quickly. Remember that the police are trying to solve a crime. If they are asking you to take a voice stress test then they must be considering you as a suspect in the case. You really need to consult with an attorney in private. Be careful. Good luck.
As a criminal defense attorney in Augusta, Georgia, at the Goolsby Law Firm, LLC, and as a former state and federal prosecutor, I would strongly urge you to contact and retain an experienced criminal lawyer in your own community to first discuss ALL the facts, and then to discuss your rights and options, before you make a decision. Your attorney may be able to help you make this and other important decisions. In my opinion, no one who is suspected of a crime should deal with any law enforcement officer, in most cases, without first consulting with an attorney. Good luck!
Harrison & Harrison
Harrison & Harrison | Samuel Harrison
The short answer is "No, you should not consent to a voice stress test." Here are four good reasonswhy.

1. The United States and Georgia constitutions give you the right to refuse to incriminate yourself. This is very important constitutional right. Obviously, the police investigation is focusing on you,but it is also obvious that they have very little information to go on.

2. The familiar Miranda warnings begin with "You have the right to remain silent" for a good reason.ANYTHING you tell the police can be used against you in court, even if you think it helps show you are innocent. Police officers, especially investigators, are trained in interrogation techniques. You are not.

3. If you submit to a voice stress test the police will beasking you questions about the car. Refer back to points 1 and2.

4. A voice stress testis not perfect. Like a polygraph, it takes objective measurements of your body's responses to questions, from which the operator draws conclusions about the truthfulness of your answers. The operator works for the police. Guess which way he/she will read the results? (Hint: It won't be in your favor.)
I am unfamiliar with voice stress tests as scientific evidence. So, I cannot give you a definitive answer. The real problem is the police are looking at you for some type of fraud. Good luck.