Should I be hiring a attorney if I was arrested for a DUI? 17 Answers as of April 30, 2015

I was arrested for driving under the influence a few weeks back. My friends and family think that hiring a lawyer is a waste of money since I will probably be found guilty. Is it worth it for me to hire an attorney?

Walpole Law | Robert J. Walpole
There actually are a reasons for and against doping so. Yes, you should for a variety of reasons. First, if the case is filed in a court of record such as a county court, a conviction would increase the charge and punishment for the next one. Oftentimes, the prosecuting attorney will not give you the same plea bargain that he would to a represented defendant because this conviction would not increase punishment for the next. If this is in a small-time city or town court, it might not matter. BUT, know this, a conviction in any court would be grounds to suspend your license. It appears that you may have already failed to contest that suspension if you did not notify the licensing agency within 15 days of the arrest. NOW, if you do not understand all or some of this, that is why you need an attorney. Good luck.
Sadly, you can't know the answer for sure until your case is either won or lost or ends in an acceptable plea bargain. Since second and subsequent convictions carry jail time (including a minimum period of incarceration) many people think it's worth fighting. But why not consult with an experienced OWI lawyer and see what she or he says about your possible defenses?
Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
Only if you want to try and avoid sleeping on a concrete floor and 3 high carb meals per day.
The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones
The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones | B. Elaine Jones
It definitely is worth retaining an attorney. They may be able to get the charge reduced to a reckless driving charge.
Grantland, Blodgett, Shaw & Abel
Grantland, Blodgett, Shaw & Abel | Gregory M. Abel
Yes, you should definitely hire a qualified DUII attorney. There are many options available that you may not be aware of. Furthermore, a DUII attorney should have the training and experience to recognize defenses if any exist. Walking in without a qualified DUII attorney is a guaranteed way to end up with a conviction.
    While I consider it a waste of money to spend money on alcohol, you and your family do NOT consider that a waste of money. SO, you need to decide IF you will fight the case .
    Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
    There are mandatory jail sentences for DUIs, so a lot of times a Judge will go out of their way to have you speak with one. These cases are very fact specific, so you owe it to yourself to speak with a DUI attorney they can tell you what the typical sentence is if you plead guilty and therefore you will know what you are looking at. If you are in fact guilty an attorney still offers a voice to the court to control the damage of the punishment within reason. I would encourage you to at least speak with one, have your questions ready as DUI attorneys are busy.
    Why don't you take a look at this: https://www.facebook.com/notes/los-angeles-dui-lawyer/success-stories/246224868820446
    Ksicinski
    Ksicinski | Paul Ksicinski
    Look....I do not understand why people ask this question. If you break a bone, should you go see a doctor?
    Anderson Law Office
    Anderson Law Office | Scott L. Anderson
    It is critical to at least talk with an attorney and see what your options are. You may have a defense and you may not but without the help of an experienced attorney there is no way to find out.
    Connell-Savela
    Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
    Each case is different and requires individual review. In response to your DUI Post: I am a criminal defense attorney with more than 17 years experience on DUI cases. If you would like to discuss your case, please contact me. Some important information- DMV Issues - If you have been served with a Notice of Revocation, then you have 7 days to request a hearing. Please do that immediately by going to your local DMV office, tell them you got a DUI and you want to request a hearing. They will give you a form. DO NOT REQUEST THE OFFICER. We can do that later if we choose to, but most often it means you will lose. The receipt DMV gives you allows you to drive until the day of the hearing. Request a copy of the Expressed Consent Packet. Evidence Issues - It would be valuable to immediately request all police reports, including all audio and video recordings from dash recorders, lapel recorders and police station recorders from the police agency that arrested you and the prosecution. Include in your written request a statement that you believe the audio and video recordings are ?material and exculpatory.? Make sure you get a copy of your request with the date, signature and name of the person that you give it to. Representation begins when client pays attorney an agreed upon retainer and returns a signed fee agreement.
    Nichols Law Firm
    Nichols Law Firm | Michael J. Nichols
    Not necessarily an attorney but a DUI LAWYER - you need someone who knows the science and the law and is not afraid to go to trial.
    P. Adam Militello, Esq.
    P. Adam Militello, Esq. | Adam Militello
    Well, you will absolutely be found guilty if you don't hire an attorney. Experienced DWI defense lawyers are able to help people every day. The choice really is yours.
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
    Yes - you need a lawyer. There are many collateral consequences of DUI.
    The Law Offices of Harold L. Wallin | Harold L. Wallin
    Yes, this is a criminal offense and you need an attorney. An attorney might find a defense to your case that you aren't aware of, or be able to negotiate for a reduced charge or minimum sentence.
    You should AT LEAST confer with an attorney and form a plan of action or defense.
    Jefferson and Biggs | Matthew Jefferson
    Yes, a lawyer can be a great help in getting your charges reduced or dismissed. You really should at least consult with one to discuss your options. Best of luck!